[Sca-cooks] Re: serving wenches (was newspaper reporter needshelp..)

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Fri Apr 22 07:17:19 PDT 2005

>(according to "1066 and all that", honi soit qui mal y pense is
>latin for "lady, your stocking's falling down"- so let me put
>your garters on for you..or something like that, anyway..)

Ummmm Not exactly.

It means "Dishonor to him who thinks ill of it".

One of the Edwards (I think Edward the III) was dancing at a court event with the Countess of Salisbury, when, much to her chagrin, her garter, which would have been a scandal to view in public (it is part of her underwear), fell off her leg.

Seeing the crowd of courtiers beginning to be snicker at the pruient spectacle of so high a lady do emnbarrassed, Edward swept the offending garment form the floor, and put it on his own leg, and uttered that phrase, saving the lady's reputation and dignity.

That would be the equivalent today of the President dancing with a lady and her panties fell to the floor, and he saved her reputation by picking them up and decalring it a "handkerchief", and "anyone who says otherwise is welcome to leave Washinton, permanently".

It was a remarkable and truly gallant action.

That gallantry formed the basis of one of the oldest and most noble orders of Chivalry, the Order of the Garter of which Edward was the founder. The Order was named in commemoration of the King's gallantry, and retained his statement as the motto.

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in the SCA
than I can possibly have time for. It's killing me!!!

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery