[Sca-cooks] Happy Passover!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Apr 23 22:02:28 PDT 2005

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>I just returned from a nice, casual Passover at a friend's house.
>She's a very good, creative cook, and we had a rather
>non-traditional meal. Homemade chicken soup with matza balls (yum!
>ultimate comfort food, I think), using her great-aunt's recipe; and
>then we had a pie-sized version of spanakopita, with lots an lots of
>feta, and latkes with sour cream and applesauce, and falafel with
>hummus and tahini.  She's talking about doing a more traditional
>feast next year, and I've already volunteered to bring the charoset,
>since I remembered that I'd saved all the recipes for it that folks
>were posting a couple of years ago.

We had knoedeln in soup (matzoh balls, but these were softer,
lighter, almost like soft matzoh spaetzeln or gnocchi, definitely
spoon-dropped, free-form, not rolled balls), the gravlax served plain
on little appetizer plates with lemon and dill (it was a big hit, and
these are old Brooklyn Jewish lox aficionados, so I was quite pleased
to note that the recipe I used three times a week for a couple of
years produced something they regarded as special -- it turns out
there's a small but fundamental addition to the process I use that is
not traditional... it's just the way I was taught to do it...). I
ended up slicing and serving about 80% of one salmon fillet, but the
rest'll keep for a while and there are other Seders within the week,
so it's a good thing to have on hand.

This was followed by braised brisket pot roast, which seems to have
been braised in a slightly tomato-ey brown gravy, then cooled,
trimmed, sliced and reheated in the oven until it was
melt-in-the-mouth tender, plus a butterflied, boneless, marinated and
broiled leg of lamb (mostly medium rare). Roasted potatoes (possibly
Yukon Golds), plus a sweet noodle kugel with raisins which was
surprisingly good with pot roast gravy under it from a previous
portion of the pot roast on that plate. This was followed by a mixed
green salad, then a flourless chocolate cake and a fairly plain
sponge cake which my hostess informed me was made with eight eggs and
equal parts of matzoh cake meal and potato starch, with mixed fresh
berries, and some rally strong, dark coffee. With the cakes and
berries there was a mysterious white substance which, if I did not
know better and trust my hostess implicitly, I would have sworn was
whipped cream. But that would have been against the rules, so I must
have been mistaken.

>I've had gravlax--yummmmmmm.  A friend sometimes makes it as her
>special dish for winter holiday season potlucks.

It's good stuff... I haven't made it in a while.

>What are you going to do with the salmon bits? Use them for stock or
>something?

I am informed by the Commander-In-Chief that I'm making a
Toysan-style casserole with the salmon head, a stock made from the
bones, fried bean curd and tomatoes.

Adamantius