[Sca-cooks] Re: Cacciocavallo with pasta?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 25 07:02:07 PDT 2005

Amra says:
If you can't find Cacciocavallo itself, in my opinion a good aged NON-smoked
provolone -- particularly one that has been "hung" so it looks physically a
bit like a birdhouse gourd -- should make a reasonable substitute both for
the palate and for the texture(s).  No, it will not be the same, but I'm
talking reasonable facsimile here.
Thank you! We have several Whole Foods around here, but I just slapped myself in the head recently; I'm half an hour away from the Italian Market section of Philadelphia, and I know there is an enormous cheese shop there. Duh!!!!!! I'm an idiot!

I had made a reference in my original inquiry to a letter to Isabella d'Este Gonzaga; the letter was actually to Lucrezia Gonzaga, a minor Mantuan princess also known as a student of Pico della Mirandola.

In the north of Italy, where the Lombard ravioli recipe is from, was it more common in period to use soft wheat for pasta-making instead of hard wheat? I've found a very few modern references that say soft wheat is common today in homemade pasta-making in the north of Italy, but those are modern references.

Gianotta