[Sca-cooks] Curing foods, was: salmon and gravlax

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Apr 26 09:04:41 PDT 2005

Also sprach <kingstaste at mindspring.com>:
><snip, snip, snip>
>As for curing foods with acid, another biggie is lactic acid, which
>is part of the process for corned beef, many cured sausages, and
>probably gravlax once it reaches a certain stage. It's a natural
>product of lactobacilli, which are also the beasties responsible for
>things like sauerkraut, kim chee, and Kosher dill pickles.
>Adamantius
>
>	I have a bowl of natural lactobacillus going right now, with my first
>go-round of home-made saurkraut (I've done this years ago, but I'm starting
>afresh).  Now that its covered with brine (had to help it along a bit and
>add some water to the natural juices after 24 hours), that pungent smell
>doesn't hit me in the nose when I walk in the door anymore.  It is tasty,
>and I'm looking forward to actually eating some after tomorow, which will be
>72 hours into the process, and then more as it goes on through the aging
>process.
>	What's in my bowl:
>	1 head of organic white cabbage, shredded
>	4 cloves of garlic, fine diced
>	1/4 -ish cup sea salt
>	1 generous tablespoon caraway seed
>	water to cover
>	plate, 2-liter bottle full of water to weight the plate down.
>	The brine now covers the surface of the cabage and the plate.
>
>I'll keep you posted...
>Christianna

Thank you for reminding me! A few years ago there was a recipe in, I
think, The Mother Earth News, for sauerkraut made without salt. By
any chance, would anyone happen to have access to this?

Many thanks for any help on this one; my brother is on an _extremely_
low-sodium diet...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782