Sandor Katz was Re: [Sca-cooks] Curing foods, was: salmon and gravlax

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 11:19:49 PDT 2005

I have Sandor's book, will check when I get home.  He is doing a round
of fermentation workshops throughout the East and Midwest this June, and
also he is looking for "outlaw cooks" using raw materials outside of the
sanction of Government Food Authorities.  He writes:

" i'm trying to spend most of my time at home working on my new book.
it's (tentatively) called underground food: culinary resistance and
revolution in many different flavors. it's been inspired largely by
people i have met -- food activists -- over the past few years as i have
traveled around talking to people about fermentation.

"a lot of what i am writing about is how the small-scale local trade of
unadulterated foods has been made illegal, and examples of communities
where people are organizing underground markets to exchange local foods,
in some cases perfectly legal, in others technically illegal by virtue
of laws which favor mass production. i'm looking for examples of this
small-scale unauthorized free trade of local foods. please email me with
your related stories and experiences. thanks!"

Please respond to him directly:  sandorkraut at heartoftn.net

Selene Colfox