[Sca-cooks] Nocino, period cordial or not?

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 11:50:02 PDT 2005

Jadwiga says:

> Hi everyone, I have a question from someone off the SCA-Italiano list about if there is a period recipe for nocino, the Tuscan cordial made from green walnuts that are picked on St. John's Day and steeped in alcohol, sugar, and spices for 43 days.

Not that I recall, but the green walnut preserves made on that date are
in the compost in Le Menagier...

The trouble is that these would probably be in a book of medicinal
recipes and I'm only slowly chugging through those.

Well, if anyone I know of could eventually determine this, you could. Which book of medicinal recipe are you plowing through, or is is it that you are plowing through several books right now? Interesting that the Menagier walnut preserves are also made on St. John's Day. I wonder what the connection is between this day and green walnuts? I guess it could be that this is just the time of year that the walnuts are still immature yet large enough to be picked. Hmmmmm.

Gianotta who-asks-more-questions-than-a-2-year-old dalla Fiora