[Sca-cooks] Nocino, period cordial or not?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 14:24:00 PDT 2005

Verrrry interesting.  In one paragraph, they try to link it to the Renaissance with a legend.
And then they state that they started making the liquor in 1700.  I would take this with a
couple of grains of salt.

Huette

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Amaretto di Saronno claims origin during the Renaissance:
>
> "Amaretto di Saronno. Legend establishes the origin of the Disaronno
> liquor in Renaissance. At that date Bernardino Luini, a disciple of
> Leonardo da Vinci's, fell so deeply in love that in one of his paintings
> he portrayed the girl of his heart as the Madonna. To express her
> gratitude the girl presented him with a precious distillate of almonds
> and brandy from which today's product is said to descend. By now
> undisputed leader of the market, it has been the token of the Reina
> family's passion for distilling from 1700 to our present days."
>
> Selene Colfox
>
> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
> > Also sprach Christiane:
> >
> >> Hi everyone, I have a question from someone off the SCA-Italiano list
> >> about if there is a period recipe for nocino, the Tuscan cordial made
> >> from green walnuts that are picked on St. John's Day and steeped in
> >> alcohol, sugar, and spices for 43 days.
> >>
> >> As far as I can tell, I don't even know if nocino was made or
> >> consumed within period. I poked around on the Florilegium a bit, but
> >> didn't turn up anything except the 12 Precious Waters recipes and the
> >> ones submitted by Aoife. Any ideas of where else I can look?
> >>
> >> Gianotta "will take limoncello over nocino any day of the week" dalla
> >> Fiora
> >

> > Through most of the Middle Ages, while distillation was known, you'll
> > probably find that most cordials (IOW, beverages whose purpose was to
> > stimulate the heart and aid digestion, etc.) were made with wine. A
> > common one was hippocras. Arnold de Villanova has recipes for
> > wine-based cordials, I believe.
> >
> > One consideration on the more modern cordials is that they seem to
> > contain a lot of sugar, and you're probably not going to see drinks
> > made in that way until, I suspect, the 17th century or later.
> >
> > Adamantius

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.