[Sca-cooks] When DID the Renaissance End???(was:Nocino, period cordial or not?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Apr 26 16:24:51 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I have always heard that scholars considered the end of the Renaissance to
> be the death of Rene Descarts in 1649.  Shakespeare died in 1616.  Either
> way, if the SCA period of study is supposed to cover the Middle Ages AND
the
> Renaissance, why are we cutting the time short?  This really irritates me
> when some people start getting picky about dates in documentation.  Heck,
if
> we have to cut everything at 1600 to be in period, there is a great deal
of
> dance that we will have to quit doing.  I have had judges at Art/Sci
comment
> negatively because I used a "post period" sourse.  'Scuse me?  Were the
> recipes developed the day the cookbook was published?
>
> Guess I'm just grumpy because the weather is lousy, and I am trying to
make
> some headway against a feast for 350 this weekend.
>
> Mairi Ceilidh

This is a long and ongoing argument. Corpora states that we're recreating
the period before the 17th century, with no early cut-off date. 1600 is
apropos of absolutely nothing in particular- it's just what Corpora states.
Many folks I know try to push things up to 1650, 1700, or "a long time ago".

You also need to realize that the Rennaissance was happening at different
times in different areas, starting at the Mediterranean and heading north-
there are some who claim that the Rennaisance hasn't happened in Russia yet
;-)

On the other end, there is _NO_ starting date, despite certain loud mouths,
notably in the Middle Kingdom, who state that our period starts in 600 CE. I
was interested in studying the period that was the transition from the
Classical era into the MA, and, having done my studying, determined, for my
purposes, the MA began in the 470s due to two dates of significance- the
Fall of Rome to Alaric and the transposition of the capitol of the Roman
Empire from Rome, Italy to Byzantium/Constantinople, and the letters of the
physician, Anthimus. I do not care to discuss how many times I have been
told by the loud and ignorant that I was "too early" or that I was "trying
to push the starting dates back to Og, the caveman."

My response to this, with my usual tolerance for the willfully ignorant has
been threefold:

1. Read Corpora.
2. Study history.
3. Bite me.