[Sca-cooks] When DID the Renaissance End???(was:Nocino, period cordial or not?

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Tue Apr 26 17:50:01 PDT 2005

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig! As for cut-off dates. There is, last I
looked, no early-period cut-off date. Thus, there is no inherent
homogeneity in the cultures recreated by the Society. All that can
really be said about them is that they are pre-modern. Historically,
the Society started out with a more Arthurian/Tolkeinesque bent which
quickly expanded to include: Hastings, Runnymeade, the Elizabethans,
and even Japan by AS III. Some of the founders of the Society were
fans of "sword culture" and some early advertising emphasized sword
culture.

As a practical matter, it is now extremely difficult if not
impossible to "roll back" the cut-off to anytime prior to 1600 CE.
This is especially true when the BoD continues to obsesses about the
flattening and even dipping of the SCA population curve.

Currently, the official goal is to recreat pre-1601 stuff.
Documentation for this can be drawn from lots of sources including
post 1600 literary sources. In practice, the SCA continues to embrace
lots of stuff which is known to be post period. This includes dances
which are reputed to have been invented by Ukranian imigrants in
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est            |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:Solveig at deMoivre.org             |