[Sca-cooks] Not so Virgin Cast Iron Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 27 20:36:34 PDT 2005

Regina asked:
> My brother just gave me a nice size cast iron kettle.  Now I happen to
> love
> cast iron for use around the mundane house.  The problem is that this
> particular pot was used to cover something outside and only recently
> rescued.  The interior bottom is badly pitted and rough.  The question
> is:
> Is it worth putting the scrubbing and possibly sanding with a disc
> sander
> into this?

Whether this kettle is worth working with will depend upon how sound
the metal under the rust is. You may not be able to get a mint new
smoothness to the bottom, but for a kettle, I doubt it matters. You
aren't using it to cook omelets or pancakes, where you are worried
about an uneven surface causing sticking.

This Florilegium file in the FOOD-UTENSILS section, which I mentioned
recently, does talk about recovering seriously rusted and damaged iron
ware.
iron-pot-care-msg (26K) 3/26/05   Seasoning and caring for iron pots and
                                      skillets.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas