[Sca-cooks] Not so Virgin Cast Iron Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 28 00:34:33 PDT 2005

Regina commented on Phlip's procedure for using electrolysis to remove
the rust on an iron pot:
> Sounds like I have to get the battery charger going in the garage.
> It's not
> going to cost to try the rust removal and I can always use it as a
> planter
> if I don't like the looks of things after that.  Besides, I'll learn
> something that I may want to use later. Winner either way!

I think that Phlip has a good method to try here. I've saved it for my
iron pot care file. :-)

One thing that occurs to me, and it may be obvious to you and others
but I'll mention it. You probably need to clean the iron pot and the
sacrificial strip of metal down to bare metal where you are attaching
the battery charger cables to them. Trying to force the electricity
through any oxide layers will likely increase the electrical
resistance, reducing the current available for the job, and may even
keep the process from working at all.

Also, be aware of the shock hazard with this. For instance, I suspect
there is more than one reason that Phlip specified a *plastic* tub.
Hopefully, your charger has its own off/on switch, so you are not
clamping and unclamping the cables to switch it on and off. Unplug it
from the wall or make sure it is off before fiddling with things in the
water.

Mark Harris
Unemployed, but still an electrical engineer
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com