[Sca-cooks] Not so Virgin Cast Iron Question

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 28 01:55:02 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Also, be aware of the shock hazard with this. For instance, I suspect
> there is more than one reason that Phlip specified a *plastic* tub.
> Hopefully, your charger has its own off/on switch, so you are not
> clamping and unclamping the cables to switch it on and off. Unplug it
> from the wall or make sure it is off before fiddling with things in the
> water.
>
> Mark Harris
> Unemployed, but still an electrical engineer

Actually, the reason I specified a plastic tub is two-fold- one being to
insulate from electrical shock, the second because plastic is neutral to
most of the interesting chemicals that I tend to have to play with for
different processes. Salt is nice because it's not caustic- if it manages to
spill, the worst it's going top do is kill any plants the water sloshes
onto. As side benefits, plastic is cheap and easy to find, and it doesn't
break very easily. Dunno the size of your pot, but a bottom section of a
plastic barrel, like the fighters use for armor bits, should do it, if the
pot's too big for a 5 gallon bucket or one of those plastic cat litter
pails.

Because of what I'm doing, I tend to have hydrochloric, sulphuric and nitric
acids stashed in the shop, but I'm careful to make sure that the only things
I take to events are borax and charcoal lighter fluid.

Your point on making sure there's a clean area of contact is well taken,
Stefan. It's something I tend to take for granted any time I'm playing with
electricity, but it's a good idea to remind people about. And, I probably
shouldn't have assumed that the battery charger had an on/off switch- every
one I've seen in the past 10 years has had one, but I'm sure there are older
ones out there which don't. Need I add a suggestion of wearing insulated
shoes, and not stepping in any puddles near the apparatus while anything's
plugged in?

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.