[Sca-cooks] Pennsic cooking class

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 06:23:29 PDT 2005

Announcing a combined theory/practice Italian cooking class for this pennsic (we were too late for the book).
Sunday 14th August 9am: Italian food and ceramics part I theory. Hosted by Master Basilius (translator of the Libro Novo), Mistress Rachaol (cooks from the Libro Novo) and Mistress Helewyse (potter and translator of the Anonymous Venetian cookbook).  If you have ever wondered what a testo is, what a pignatta looks like or what a tegame can be used for this is the class for you.  We will be exploring the cooking ceramics of Italy and period dishes that were cooked within. A one hour class with a small fee for the handout.  Will include pictures of the ceramics, recipes and redactions.

Tuesday 16th August noon-dinner: Italian food and ceramics part II practice: Hosted in a pennsic camp this is the companion class to theory.  Come prepared for cooking over the fire. We will be preparing the recipes discussed in part I. We will use ceramic pignattas, torta, testos, a tegame, dutch ovens, and a spit to roast, stew, simmer, and generally cook an entire Italian meal over the fire. This meal will then be eaten by attendees.  Class is limited to 12 people because of space considerations.  First come, first serve, located in House of the Lost Keys camp (directions will be available at A&S).  You may want to bring a camp chair we only have so many.  Fee of about $10 to cover food costs (we won't know how much to charge until we've gone shopping).

Helewyse