[Sca-cooks] Lammas 1005 menu

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Aug 4 16:34:31 PDT 2005

This is what I've ended up with as the menu for our event this weekend.

This is a non-SCA group that does a public reenactment called "Brian
Boru's Ireland" at the Irish festival each year.  We are busy with
the public all weekend and end with a feast for the staff on Sunday.
The rules for the site mean that we cant let the public taste the
food.  We cook everything on site over fire, as close to period as we
can get.   I'll make butter and cheese on site.

Anahita, I was reading old email and found your recipe for the Apicus
plum sauce, thank you for sharing it.  I'm leaving out the fish
sauce, but otherwise it fits what I know about Hiberno-Viking
cooking. I've read that they loved plums.

I'm also going to serve false Dormice, but it's not on the menu, I'm
going to have the children make them and bring them in as a surprise
for "King Brian", who sure sounded as if he meant it when he
suggested catching mice at Pennsic for dinner.

They made mead as a demo last year, and we have FOUR cases of it!!
So I'm using mead instead of wine in several recipes.  I did a test
cook of the Cormarye last week and it went over very well.

I'll post the recipes afterwards.

Ranvaig

Lammas 1005

Friday - a meatless fast day
Nettle Soup - milk, nettles, oatmeal
Frittours - flour, eggs, beer, parsnips, pears
Oatcakes - oatmeal, water, salt

Saturday
Oatmeal Littiu - oatmeal, milk
Chicken Barley soup - chicken, barley, onion, vegies, herbs
Salmon Oatmeal cakes - salmon, oatmeal, onion, egg
Bread with butter and honey

Sunday Served hot:
Chicken with leeks and parsley - chicken, leeks, parsley
Duck with honey and thyme
Pork with Cormarye Sauce - pork, mead, garlic, cumin, coriander, pepper
Carrots and Parsnips roasted - carrots, parsnips, turnips, butter
Barley and Hazelnuts - barley, hazelnuts

Sunday Served cold:
Mustard sauce  - mustard, mead, pears, honey
Horseradish sauce - horseradish, vinegar
Garlic herb sauce - garlic, sage, parsley, bread, vinegar,
Plum sauce from Apicus - plums, wine, cumin, celery
Cured salmon - salmon, sugar, salt, mead, dill
pickled mushrooms,
radishes, other veggies
Pears, plums, peaches, berries
Cheese, homemade and purchased, homemade butter,
Bread, Oatcakes
honey, salt
Mead, Cider, Water