[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 27, Issue 25

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 05:22:25 PDT 2005

Benedicte,
Abot Johann from the middle of the Middle here,

Is this Royalty? then kowtow nicely for their sake and
know that the throne flushes every six months!

If not, well, give em a coupon to Dennys or offer off
board space.

There is a good rule of thumb, according to a number
of period sources, to have three 'meats' Fish, Fowl,
Field. If a guest can't eat from one, they can from
another. Granted the Fish might be preserved as salted
or kippered (Herring seems to be the favorit
here...long story inserted, long ago I was doing my
second?? Feast, and was determined to serve some sort
of fish, indeed kippered herring. I was warned that no
one would eat it and that the barony would not pay for
it! Okay says I, it'll be served as on table with the
crudites and I'll pay for it from my own pocket!
So it happened, the feeding frenzy and piracy that
occurred is still talked about, those tables that
liked it (and there were three that were really hooked
on it) stole from those that either didn't like it,
which is fine, and from those that were just a little
to slow to recognize what they had in front of them!!
LOL, Then they tried to bribe head table out of their
fish too!! Since then no one ever really complains
about me serving kippered herring( or any other fish)
at my feasts.

Johann von Metten

> caointiarn wrote:
>
> >>how does  everyone out there handle this type of
> situation for feasts??
> >>

> >We feel that  sometimes they hold us "hostage" and
> refuse to attend feast if
> >pork is  served...
> >

> >>Curious, thanks -
> >>Gab
> >>

> >    Depends on how many meat dishes are being
> served.   If Pork is going to
> >be the only meat dish,  they can be told "there is
> off-board" or  "we will
> >miss you."   I like pork, and have cooked feasts
> with it, along with people
> >who don't  eat pork.  I usually have a 2nd or 3rd
> meat dish, so they
> >shouldn't go away hungry.  When I had Royal guests
> {unexpectedly} who don't
> >eat pork,  I told them what had pork in it, and
> made sure when the "mixed"
> >meat platter when out, they were given a whole
> roasted chicken platter.
> >
> >You didn't say how many "they" were  -- if it's
> half your group, you may
> >want to compromise.
> >
> >Caointiarn
> >

> Yeah, but she says that the person can't even abide
> the smell of pork.
> In that case, if your plan includes pork, I'd let
> the person know and
> advise them to eat away from the dining room.  I
> understand the desire
> to help those who are allergic, etc., but you can't
> rework an entire
> feast plan just because of one person...if it's a
> Royal and I know in
> advance, I'll try to advoid serving pork as their
> presence is part of
> the ceremonial aspects of a feast...but otherwise,
> sorry.  It's not that
> I cater to the Royals because they are Royal, but
> rather that they play
> an important role in the feast.
>
> Kiri
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:13:20 -0500
> From: Heather M <margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] allergies vs. sensitivities
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
>

> >> i do tend to stay away from walnuts, because we
> do have several
> >> deathly allergic folks.  as in, if a cookie with
> walnuts touches a
> >> cookie without walnuts, they can still get sick.
> >

> > I would consider avoiding a food outright under
> these circumstances.
>
> They probably do, but if a cookie doesn't have a
> walnut in it, you've
> asked/seen the ingredients list and the cookie
> doesn't have walnuts in
> it, how would you know? A gentle in a neighboring
> group is

purging-trying-to-breathe-three-Epi-Pens-while-waiting-for-EMT
> allergic
> to cassia. He avoids it, and (especially now) gets
> plenty of warnings if
> there might be cinnamon of any nationality in
> something. Thing is, it
> can appear in places unexpected and unlooked-for, as
> he and those who
> served him have experienced.
>
> > I tend to let people with multiple food issues
> attend at half-price or
> > less and nibble at whatever they can.
>
> Which is quite nice. I usually just have a look at
> the ingredients list.
> I have a short (and as US brewers, vintners, and
> distillers get a clue,
> thankfully shortening) list of alcohol makers I
> won't drink from due to
> the addition of formaldehyde as a clarifying agent.
> If I can, I find
> out who made the alcohol, otherwise I avoid that
> portion of the feast,
> or taste (prepared to spit and rinse) a small bit.
>
> Margaret Northwode

www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"