[Sca-cooks] period potato soup

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 14 20:39:41 PDT 2005

  Jaime Declet mentioned:
> I agree with you concerning the ease of the dish and versatility.  In
> period recipes I have only found potatoe soup.

I don't remember a pre-1600 or even early 17th Century potato soup
being mentioned before. I'd love to hear more details about this. Was
this for white or sweet potatoes? Many of the period recipes using
potatoes seem to likely be using the sweet potatoes rather than
white. I guess you could make a sweet potato soup, but I've not heard
of one, although perhaps that is because I don't like sweet potatoes.

Stefan

>  Adele de Maisieres <ladyadele at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> > I am a bit cinfused I recieved the recipe at an SCA feast and it is
> > not the first time I have seen included in feast. Historically
> > speaking there were potatoes in Europe in the 1500's. I do like the
> > idea of the Losyns with the chicken.
>
> Yes, there were potatoes in Europe from some time in the 16th century.
> But roast potatoes with with sage and rosemary to accompany a roast
> chicken is not a period recipe afaik. I'm afraid having had the
> dish at
> a feast doesn't mean much. On the up side, lozyns makes a great side
> dish, enjoyed by all but the very fussiest eaters and easy for
> inexperienced cooks to make.
> --
> Adele de Maisieres
--------