[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 27, Issue 54

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Sat Aug 20 18:18:47 PDT 2005

In a message dated 08/20/2005 2:48:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> I think your idea of flaming shish kababs is a modern idea and not done
> pre-1600.  And if the fencing foils aren't properly tempered they could be
> ruined by the flames and/or ruin the meat by adding harmful metals to the meat.

I have been assured that the foils will not be needed again (they are failed
foils) I will most likely foil the foils, put the cooked meat on them and then
flambe'.
BTW-not exactly my idea. This is being done in honor of an artwork portraying
the Patron Saint of Fencing....

> You need to buy these books:
>
> Medieval Arab Cookery / essays and translations by Maxime Rodinson, A.J.
> Arberry & Charles Perry ;
> with a foreward by Claudia Roden.  [Devon, England] : Prospect Books, 2001.
> 527 p.  ISBN 0907325912
>
> If you want to do Medieval Middle Eastern food, this is the best book to
> have.
>
> and then there is:
>
> The Ni`matn¯ama manuscript of the sultans of Mandu : the Sultan's book of
> delights / translated
> by Norah M. Titley. London ; New York : Routledge, 2004.
> xx, 121 p.  ISBN 041535059X
> ISBN: 041535059X (cloth)
>
> Although this is from India, it is from the Moghul Era, so it is heavily
> influenced by the Persians.  There are several kabab recipes in it.

Thank you, I shall look into those-hopefully, the sticker shock is minimal?
(I am preparing to go back to Grad School soon-everything is about the money!)

Helen

Who just spent $80 for on books of Medieval recipes and Feasts....