[Sca-cooks] Re: Shish Kabab ton-o-questions

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 23:28:18 PDT 2005

--- CLdyroz at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 08/20/2005 2:48:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
> sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:
>

> > I think your idea of flaming shish kababs is a modern idea and not done
> > pre-1600.  And if the fencing foils aren't properly tempered they could be
> > ruined by the flames and/or ruin the meat by adding harmful metals to the meat.
>
> I have been assured that the foils will not be needed again (they are failed
> foils) I will most likely foil the foils, put the cooked meat on them and then
> flambe'.
> BTW-not exactly my idea. This is being done in honor of an artwork portraying
> the Patron Saint of Fencing....

Very good idea!  I hadn't thought of foiling the foils.  That should keep the nasty metals from
invading your good cooking!

> > You need to buy these books:
> >
> > Medieval Arab Cookery / essays and translations by Maxime Rodinson, A.J.
> > Arberry & Charles Perry ;
> > with a foreward by Claudia Roden.  [Devon, England] : Prospect Books, 2001.
> > 527 p.  ISBN 0907325912
> >
> > If you want to do Medieval Middle Eastern food, this is the best book to
> > have.
> >
> > and then there is:
> >
> > The Ni`matnama manuscript of the sultans of Mandu : the Sultan's book of
> > delights / translated
> > by Norah M. Titley. London ; New York : Routledge, 2004.
> > xx, 121 p.  ISBN 041535059X
> > ISBN: 041535059X (cloth)
> >
> > Although this is from India, it is from the Moghul Era, so it is heavily
> > influenced by the Persians.  There are several kabab recipes in it.
>
> Thank you, I shall look into those-hopefully, the sticker shock is minimal?
> (I am preparing to go back to Grad School soon-everything is about the money!)

Ummmmm.  No, the sticker is pretty shocking.  $60 for the Medieval Arab Cookery and $115 for the
Sultan's Book of Delights.  But if you noticed, I posted quite a few of the recipes from the
Sultan's Book last night.  If you need other recipes, I will be happy to post more for you.

> Helen
>
> Who just spent $80 for on books of Medieval recipes and Feasts....

I would hate to total up what I have spent on period cookbooks just this year alone.  I am sure
that many third world countries could survive for days on what I spent ... The things one does
for knowledge ... :-)

Huette