[Sca-cooks] Moslems and alcohol

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 21 01:07:37 PDT 2005

Lyse commented:
> (snip)
> 1. If Middle/Near Eastern food doesn't contain alcohol, how am I
> supposed to
> get the things to flame? Would it be better to go Greek, instead of
> Eastern?
>
> * I believe the restricton was, drink made from
> fruits of the vine though I think they expanded that restriction
> through the years (I could be remembering wrong).

We've discussed this before, and I'm pretty sure that it is in the
Florileguim, but right now I can't remember where. Anyone interested
should check the Middle Eastern food files, or more likely, the wine
file. Perhaps the file on dates.

The range of utterly no alcohol to some alcohol so long as it isn't
brewed from grapes, appears to have varied by sect. I'm not sure that
there has been a loosening of the alcohol restriction over the years
in general. I believe that it is still forbidden to most Moslems.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com