[Sca-cooks] Moslems and alcohol

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 21 08:35:19 PDT 2005

The prohibition on alcohol depends on interpretation of the religious law.
The absolute prohibition is on "the fruit of the grape," so grape wines,
brandies, etc. are completely prohibited, while other alcoholic beverages
may or may not be permitted depending on the particular brand of Islam one
follows and on how strictly one follows Islamic dietary laws.  The strictest
adherents say that the prohibition applies to anything that alters the mind,
which is part of the reason coffee and qhat were prohibited at one time.
The best general rule is that alcohol is forbidden to Moslems.

Bear