[Sca-cooks] low-cost medieval cookbook sources

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 21 01:45:12 PDT 2005

Helen mentioned:
> > Although this is from India, it is from the Moghul Era, so it is
> > heavily
> > influenced by the Persians.  There are several kabab recipes in it.
>
> Thank you, I shall look into those-hopefully, the sticker shock is
> minimal?
> (I am preparing to go back to Grad School soon-everything is about
> the money!)
>
> Helen
>
> Who just spent $80 for on books of Medieval recipes and Feasts....

Does your group have local medieval cooking guild? Or is there one
nearby? Perhaps you can arrange to borrow books from each other.

Also, I would highly recommend Master Cariadoc's series of books. He
is not in it for the money and likely isn't charging what he could
for them, (unlike the publisher of a certain Mongolian cookbook). The
most well known is probably the Miscellany. But he also has a two
volume set of reproductions of period cookbooks. They are copies of
the originals only, so there are no redactions. But the two volumes
will easily fill up a pair of two-inch 3-ring binders. They are
reproduced four pages to each 8 1/2 by 11 page and sometimes the
small type is rather small or smudged, but the price can not be beat.

Another source would be the online cookbooks which are becoming
available. You might check this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of the
Florilegium for a listing of a lot of these books and sites:
online-ckbks-msg  (41K)  8/20/02    Online versions of period cookbooks.
   (hmmm. I do have a bunch more stuff to add to this file)

And there are now these cookbooks which can be found in the FOOD-
MANUSCRIPTS section of the Florilegium:
About-Cheese-art  (12K)  3/ 4/05    "About Cheese" A tranlation by
Aelianora de
                                        Wintringham of a 1556 letter
on Swiss
                                        cheese and dairy products.
Eberhard-art      (91K)  6/29/05    A 15th century German recipe
collection
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.
Guisados1-art    (220K)  5/28/01    A translation of Ruperto de Nola's
                                        1529 "Libre del Coch", part 1
of 2
                                        by Lady Brighid ni Chiarain.
Guisados2-art    (116K)  5/28/01    "Libre del Coch". part 2 of 2.
                                        Lenten recipes.
Inntal-art        (32K)  6/29/05    An early 16th century recipe
collection from
                                        Bavaria translated by Giano
Balestriere.
Konigsberg-art    (28K)  6/29/05    A 15th century cookbook from East
Prussia
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.
Romanian-ckbk-art (112K)  1/25/04    "A Translation of a 17th Century
Romanian
                                        Cookbook" by Lord Petru cel
paros Voda.

Nothing there that will likely help you in your current quest, but
perhaps they will be of use to you in the future.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com