[Sca-cooks] Sugarplums

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 22 00:03:22 PDT 2005

Lyse asked:
> Growing up in St. Louis we had an apricot tree that fruited in late
> July
> early August.
> Please forgive the confusion but how do you plan to make
> "sugarplums" out of
> apricots? They have a fuzz on the outside unlike plums which have a
> smooth
> skin and peeling the apricots will make everything sticky and you
> will have
> to use a whole lot of sugar.
> Or do you have another method of sugarplums other than egg whites
> and sugar?

You are aware that "sugarplum" was used for any dried, sugared fruit
and not just plums, right?

Here is an article in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium that
explains a lot about "sugarplums" and gives a couple of recipes
including one that suggests apricots.

Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                        Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Sugarplums-art.html

Stefan
(who until a few years ago, knew that the "Night Before Christmas"
mentioned sugarplums, but had no idea what they really were. Perhaps
not until Mistress Renata sent me her article. So, send your
interesting articles for the Florilegium and help educate Stefan!
See, plenty enough for all to do! )
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com