[Sca-cooks] Grilling in Pompeii

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Tue Aug 23 09:23:28 PDT 2005

I'm interested in a grill/brazier from Pompeii and any related cooking
implements or pots.

Here's a picture of the one I'm interested in:
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazier01.jpg
The four horizontal bars (some or all can slide down to the front to open
the base or to can be moved to alter the spacing between the bars.  Here's
some info about how they made it:
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazier.html

Here are closeups and other angles of how it's made
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazier02.jpg
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazier03.jpg
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazierfire.jpg

Some pictures of using it for cooking:
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/cocina02ducks.jpg
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/campbrazier.jpg
http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/cocina03ducks.jpg

Is anyone else using replicas of this?  I'd love to hear about your
experiences in cooking with it and what works well.  I'm also looking for
more detailed sources  of info on how it's made, or info on anyone offering
replicas.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net