[Sca-cooks] rice pudding

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 2 11:47:11 PDT 2005

Am Dienstag, 2. August 2005 19:58 schrieb Pat:
> In the oven.
>
> Melissa Carter <homefrogs at houston.rr.com> wrote:I'm a relatively new feast
> steward and I have a small question. What would be the best way to go about
> preparing rice pudding for 85 people without it burning?

This will depend on equipment availability, but you can get very large (30-40
liter) pots with inbuilt heating elements and thermostats for home canning
(heat-sterilising the jars and sealing them). I don't know how common they
are where you live, but around here they're common enough to show up second
hand quiote frequently. Anyway, what you can do is put your liquid into such
a pot in the morning, set the thermostat to 80°C, around noon throw in the
rice and leave it standing till the evening, when the pudding will be hot and
ready to serve. We've done soups and porridges that way, and nothing ever
went wrong (except once when too much salt got in, but that wasn't the pot's
fault)

Giano