[Sca-cooks] rice pudding

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 2 18:03:25 PDT 2005

Rice pudding is delicious hot... it's OK cold, but hot is much nicer.

--
Adele de Maisieres

I agree, hot is much nicer, especially on cold days, which we seem to be in
short supply of just now.
By way of answering your earlier comment about different ways to make rice
pudding, I just happen to have The Joy of Cooking right next to my computer.
There are two methods for making rice pudding in it. The first one called
"Creamy Rice Pudding" uses uncooked rice, milk and salt on top of a double
boiler, with butter, vanilla, lemon rind, and sugar stirred in after it is
cooked but while still hot.  Served as a pudding, hot or cold.    The other
one called simply "Rice Pudding" is a method that starts with preheating an
oven to 350, then having precooked rice ready, while you make a custard of
milk, salt, sugar, butter, vanilla, eggs, then adding lemon rind, lemon
juice and the option of raisins or dates.  Combine the wet ingredients with
the rice, pour into a buttered baking dish and bake for 50 minutes or so.
So yup, two different ideas about how to make rice pudding.
:)
Christianna
who usually ends up using leftover Chinese take-out rice as the basis for
rice pudding