[Sca-cooks] OP: salsa sans capiscums?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 4 21:14:55 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces+franiccolo=mindspring.com at ansteorra.org

>I would take Maire's salsa as below and then apply our Super Medieval
>Knowledge to it!  Take every other spice with "bite" and bang it together
in
>a mortar and pestle, including but not limited to:
>
>Black pepper
>Cubebs
>Grains of Paradise aka Malaqueta Pepper
>Long Pepper - have you ever bitten down on one of these?  Ai-yi-yi!
>Fresh Ginger

For bite and pop, it's hard to beat mustard (seed powder).  Mustard was
ubiquitous in several regions for several centuries (plus, see bible), and
it don't take prisoners!  Add a little Long Pepper, and you get flavor and
bite that goes all the way from tip of tongue through your sinus cavities.

niccolo difrancesco