[Sca-cooks] OP: salsa sans capiscums?

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 08:29:49 PDT 2005

On 8/4/05, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I would take Maire's salsa as below and then apply our Super Medieval
> Knowledge to it!  Take every other spice with "bite" and bang it together in
> a mortar and pestle, including but not limited to:
>
> Black pepper
> Cubebs
> Grains of Paradise aka Malaqueta Pepper
> Long Pepper - have you ever bitten down on one of these?  Ai-yi-yi!
> Fresh Ginger
>
> Plus those other "chili powder" favorites, cumin and garlic.
>
> This should provide some "bite" for the capsicum-impaired.
>
> Bon Appetit, Selene

I'd stay clear of paprika as well - sweet red pepper (Capsicum annuum).

Uhm, my take on salsa is this (and shows you how I make it too)
2 handfulls chopped roasted tomato
2 handfulls chopped roasted tomatillo
1 handfull black beans
1 handful roasted onion
3 roasted garlic cloves
cilantro - enough
mint - half as much as the cilantro
black pepper - taste
salt - some

from there I would add the chilis to suit my audience....

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson