Subject: [Sca-cooks] Italian Fried Custards?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Fri Aug 5 18:28:12 PDT 2005

At 06:03 AM 8/5/2005,Heather Musinski said something like:

>57D   TO MAKE FRITTERS WITH ELDERBERRY FLOWERS FOR SIX PLATTERS

Okay!! I tried them tonight in a quick version.

I used ricotta, jack cheese (something with a really pale flavor, as
I was going for a dessert food), white flour, eggs, raisins, 1/2
package of yeast, milk, raisins.

Then I took about 1/3 of the batter and added a generous tablespoon
or so of black sambucca (I have no white around the house).

They were then deep fried, and sprinkled with that very coarse nearly
brown mexican sugar.

They were _very_ good.  However, I don't think I would do this as a
dish for 150-200 people.  I don't think it would hold well after
frying.  This is good for just cooking up for immediate serving, but
holding for more than 5-10 minutes is just out of the question.

I'll do some more tomorrow at Leodamus tourney in a dutch oven over coals.

Thanks for the help!!
Maggie