[Sca-cooks] allergies vs. sensitivities

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 04:31:40 PDT 2005

>   Elisabetta commented:
>>
>>As far as I understand it, it's not the heat, but the pepper. I'm not
>>sure if nightshaes (peppers, tomatoes and eggplant) are an allergy or a
>>sensitivity (or both),
>
>So medically, what is the difference between having an allergy to something
>and having a sensitivity to it? Just a matter of the severity of the
>symptoms or something else?
>
>Stefan

No, they're different.  An allergy is defined as an immune response to a
specific antigen (foreign material).  Usually the first time is mild, then
you're primed and it gets ever worse with time.  Allergies are often
developed later in life - commonly around 30-40 years of age.

A sensitivity is hard-wired and requires no previous exposure.  In the case
of capsicums, there are three basic categories of people genetically (and
this is, of course, a horrible over-simplification)  tasters, non-tasters,
and super-tasters.  Non-tasters have very few of the specific receptors on
their tongues which bind capsaicin.  Tasters have a moderate number, and
super-tasters have high numbers.  Since the binding of capsaicin to the
receptor is firm, and competitive, this means that super-tasters will
perceive the same dish to be significantly hotter than tasters.  They're
also more likely to perceive a "bite" from any food with even a small amount
of capsaicin that others wouldn't even notice.

Given time, and sufficient masochistic tendencies, you CAN kill off the
receptors and move from one category to another.  I've never been tempted to
try it.

In general, a sensitivity often refers to a genetic or biochemical
difference which changes how your body reacts to a substance - but does not
involve an immune response.  Allergies are also termed "Hypersensitivity
Reactions" - there are 5 types, and all are immune-mediated.

Femke