[Sca-cooks] allergies vs. sensitivities

Celia des Archier celiadesarchier at cox.net
Sat Aug 6 13:17:47 PDT 2005

Ah ha! I did not know that!

So, the reasons that I have such a low tolerance for spicy foods has nothing
to do with (as I thought) the fact that I was simply not exposed to it as I
grew up, but has to do with the fact that I am a 'super-taster'?
Interesting.

And is it safe to posit, therefore, that the number of receptors is
something that one would be genetically pre-disposed to, therefore the
reason that we never had really hot or spicy foods at my house was because
both my mother and father were 'super-taster's as well?

Fascinating!  Thanks for sharing that with us!

>   Elisabetta commented:
>>
>>As far as I understand it, it's not the heat, but the pepper. I'm not
>>sure if nightshaes (peppers, tomatoes and eggplant) are an allergy or a
>>sensitivity (or both),
>
>So medically, what is the difference between having an allergy to something

>and having a sensitivity to it? Just a matter of the severity of the
>symptoms or something else?
>
>Stefan

<<No, they're different.  An allergy is defined as an immune response to a
specific antigen (foreign material).  Usually the first time is mild, then
you're primed and it gets ever worse with time.  Allergies are often
developed later in life - commonly around 30-40 years of age.

A sensitivity is hard-wired and requires no previous exposure.  In the case
of capsicums, there are three basic categories of people genetically (and
this is, of course, a horrible over-simplification)  tasters, non-tasters,
and super-tasters.  Non-tasters have very few of the specific receptors on
their tongues which bind capsaicin.  Tasters have a moderate number, and
super-tasters have high numbers.  Since the binding of capsaicin to the
receptor is firm, and competitive, this means that super-tasters will
perceive the same dish to be significantly hotter than tasters.  They're
also more likely to perceive a "bite" from any food with even a small amount

of capsaicin that others wouldn't even notice.>>