[Sca-cooks] allergies vs. sensitivities (Super Taster) (catching up)

Terri Morgan nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Sat Aug 27 08:00:11 PDT 2005

 Sorry, folks, I'm catching up on the List - I had to be at Cooper's lake by
the 3rd so an W-A-Y behind!

> So, the reasons that I have such a low tolerance
> for spicy foods has nothing to do with (as I thought)
> the fact that I was simply not exposed to it as I
> grew up, but has to do with the fact that I am a
> 'super-taster'? Interesting.
> And is it safe to posit, therefore, that the number of
> receptors is something that one would be genetically
> pre-disposed to, therefore the reason that we never
> had really hot or spicy foods at my house was because
> both my mother and father were 'super-taster's as well?

A recent (May or June, I think) issue of Smithsonian magazine had an article
about supertasters in it, and a simple test you could do to determine if you
were one. Just place some blue food colouring on your tongue and then count
the number of taste receptors in a given area. I found that I qualify, which
as your message alludes to, provided me with some relief of guilt/concern
about not being happy about eating foods that others seem to enjoy. Now I
know why a little flavour goes a long way! (I used to be teased as a child
for being able to tell where the asparagus was picked from - garden or wild
- because of it's flavour).

Since it's a physical characteristic unaffected by foetal development, I'd
posit it was genetically determined. Which also explains perfume-testers and
single-malt tasters.  Heh.

Hrothny