[Sca-cooks] allergies vs. sensitivities

Aurelia Coritana aurelia_coritana at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 08:36:34 PDT 2005

Greetings!

I was tested by an allergist a number of years ago due to the large number of migraines headaches I was having.  It turned out that I was sensitive to wheat, yeast, hazelnuts, and cinnamon.  Too much of any of these will bring on a doozy of a headache for me.  But it is not an allergy, although I tend to call it one when ordering food in restaurants.  A person with a food allergy often risks anaphalactic (sp?) shock if they consume even the tiniest bit of a particular food.  You may know someone who cannot eat nuts or strawberries or shellfish because their throat will swell shut, or some other frightening result.

Vale bene,
Aurelia

sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org wrote:
> As far as I understand it, it's not the heat, but the pepper. I'm not
> sure if nightshaes (peppers, tomatoes and eggplant) are an allergy or a
> sensitivity (or both),

So medically, what is the difference between having an allergy to
something and having a sensitivity to it? Just a matter of the severity
of the symptoms or something else?

Stefan

Aurelia Coritana
aka, Aurelia filia Volisii