[Sca-cooks] Re: allergies vs. sensitivities

Lady Elisabetta Maldestro elisabetta at klotz.org
Sun Aug 7 06:56:30 PDT 2005

This is why it is so important to pre-publish ingrediant listing for
feast menus.

The reason I wrote allergies/sensitivity regarding nightshades, is that
it could be either depending on the person. But most humans have a
negative reaction to at least one of them.

For more information on allergies, I suggest the American Academy of
Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (www.aaaai.org).

Each person differs with non-food allergies, but they do tend change
with every hormone cycle, which is every 7 years. I just found out that
I am no longer allergic to ragweed or tree pollen or mold or dogs.

There are allergy blood tests which have advanced much in the past few
years, as well as tests for celiac and laxtose intolance. This is
important because I was told that I had a low grade wheat allergy (if I
ate more then x amount per week I would get sick) when in fact I do not
have an allergy but a bile issue. Sometimes people have digestive
issues that mimic allergies, like acid reflux.

My allergist informed me that anything not an "official" allergy (like
pollen, mold, dander) is considered a sensitivity. This includes
chemical or enviromental allergies, like smoke. And some allergists
will NOT treat these.

As for lactose intolance, well from personal experience I can tell you
that if you had it as a child, and slowly re-integrate milk back into
your diet as an adult, you no longer have this issue. And you can drink
chocolate milk because it takes longer to digest (first the stomach has
to seperate it). And according to my OB/GYN, chocolate milk is the
preferct PMS food. Trust me, it works.

Ok, that's too much information for now....
:)
Elisabetta