[Sca-cooks] New Book?

The Sheltons sheltons at sysmatrix.net
Sun Aug 7 05:54:17 PDT 2005

Is anyone familiar with this book that was just published this month?  Some
of it covers our time of interest, but I don't know anything about this
author and how good her research is.

John le Burguillun

      "Charlemagne's Tablecloth: A Piquant History of Feasting" by Nichola
Fletcher
            ISBN: 0312340680
            Format: Hardcover, 256pp
            Pub. Date: August 2005
            Publisher: St. Martin's Press
            List Price: $24.95

      FROM THE PUBLISHER
      Feasts, banquets, and grand dinners have always played a vital role in
our lives. They oil the wheels of diplomacy, smooth the paths of the
ambitious, and spread joy at family celebrations. They lift the spirits,
involve all our senses and, at times, transport us to other fantastical
worlds. Some feasts have give rise to hilarious misunderstandings, at others
competitive elements take over. Some are purely for pleasure, some connect
uncomfortably with death, but all are interesting. Nichola Fletcher has
written a captivating history of feasts throughout the ages that includes
the dramatic failures along with the dazzling successes. From a humble meal
of potatoes provided by an angel, to the extravagance of the high medieval
and Renaissance tables groaning with red deer and wild boar, to the
exquisite refinement of the Japanese tea ceremony, Charlemagne's Tablecloth
covers them all. In her gustatory exploration of history's great feasting
tables, Fletcher also answers more than a few riddles such as "Why did
Charlemagne use an asbestos tablecloth at his feasts?" and "Where did the
current craze for the elegant Japanese Kaiseki meal begin? Fletcher answers
these questions and many more while inviting readers to a feasting table
that extends all the way from Charlemagne's castle to her own millennium
feast in Scotland. This is an eclectic collection of feasts from the
flamboyant to the eccentric, the delicious to the disgusting, and sometimes
just the touchingly ordinary. For anyone who has ever sat down at a banquet
table and wondered, "Why?" Nichola Fletcher provides the delicious answer in
a book that is a feast all its own.