[Sca-cooks] Dragon Beard Candy

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 9 09:13:07 PDT 2005

On Aug 9, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

> Just an online demo of confectionary that I thought people here
> might find interesting.  They don't seem to include the recipe,
> which is not surprising because they are trying to sell the candy,
> yes?
> http://www.yuzumura.com/bamboogarden/ma ster8mb.wmv <http://
> www.yuzumura.com/bamboogarden/master8mb.wmv> (no, I'm not sure how
> big it is).

What I got was 8.4 MBs, and thank heaven for mplayer, since I refuse
to have Windows Media Player on my hard drive.

This is pretty fascinating stuff, though. The voice-over claims it's
made from sugar and maltose (in this context a heavy syrup usually
derived from malted rice), which past experience suggests is used to
prevent undue crystallization at inopportune moments. I imagine it's
cooked to a taffy-like consistency, somewhere short of hard crack,
and the actual hand work appears to be identical to that for Dragon's
Beard Noodles. What makes this interesting is the pulling designed
not only to smooth out lumps, but, I suspect, add via friction to the
ambient heat of the sugar mass, keeping it softer and more pliable
than it would otherwise be.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782