[Sca-cooks] fish at SCA feasts

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 11 22:08:58 PDT 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I keep hearing this phrase about not eating fish, but I've heard many
> other comments to the contrary. Me? I'd love to see a lot more, well-
> prepared fish at SCA feasts.

I served escabeche (fish poached in wine and vinegar and allowed to cool
and jelly in it's cooking liquid-- delicious) at a feast once.  A third
of the dishes (I serve in messes) were essentially untouched (from the
tables with the youngest and least adventurous eaters, I guess).  The
other two-thirds were scraped (and in one or two cases licked, I
suspect) clean.  I'd certainly serve it again.  I've also had salmon,
trout, mussels, and plain fried fish at feasts and I don't remember
anyone complaining.  I'd go so far as to say that fish is quite popular.

> So, has anyone served eel? How well did it go over? So far, I've only
> had eel out of a can.

I don't think I have, but it would probably go down just fine-- smoked
freshwater eel tends to be seen as a treat here (New Zealand).  I don't
think I've seen unsmoked eel for sale, but you can fish them out of any
stream anyway.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,