[Sca-cooks] OT OP but it's the War

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 12 10:55:35 PDT 2005

Terry Decker wrote:

>  I particularly enjoyed the idiocy of "steak on a stick has more of a
> chance of killing you these days than a long sword."

I think they were referring to food poisoning.

As for the grouping issue, I remember back in the late 70's when our
county school board (Broward County, Florida) seriously considered
banning after school gaming groups (including chess) because of the
"high teen suicide rate reported in the media." I took myself down to
the county records and looked up all of the teen suicides for the last 4
years. With a little more snooping, along with several cohorts, we
cross-referenced the names to participants in football, cheerleading,
basketball, soccer, and baseball (I left out swimming because I was on
the team). The results was a suicide rate 9.2 times higher for "main
stream athletics" than for gamers in our county (based on the number of
gamers the school board reported, which was probably not correct
anyway). The issue was rapidly dropped.

I just love statistics. They are the modern religious text of our age;
used to prove whatever viewpoint is convenient for their interpreter.

Aoghann