[Sca-cooks] Indian Nut

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Aug 13 11:12:32 PDT 2005

Was written:

> All the discussion of coconuts has been interesting, but remember the
> Tuscan cookbook is from the late 1300s or very early 1400s, and most
> of the references to coconut are to at least 100 years later, and
> mostly 16th C.

Perhaps Marco brought some back with him? ;-)

> I still think "noci d'India" is some sort of spice. I've considered
> cardamom, but that is called "cardamome" in the Italian text.
> Anyother suggestions?

Have you tried using coconut in the recipe to see if the taste suits?
Negative feedback is still feedback... as it "no way in anyone would eat
this!"  Conversely even if it tastes right it doesn't necessarily valid...
but it does make for a tasty discovery.

Daniel