[Sca-cooks] Indian Nut

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 13 11:52:35 PDT 2005

This is the only site I've found that can seriously tie the coconut into the
Mediterranean spice trade:

http://www.le.ac.uk/archaeology/research/projects/nerc/

http://www.le.ac.uk/ar/mvdv1/research.html

The research is for Quseir, an Egyptian resort town that was a major
terminus of the spice trade between the 1st and 3rd Centuries and again
between the 12th and 15th Centuries.

According to the research:

" Several imports have already been identified: pepper, rice, and coconut,
all originating from India, were found in both Roman and Mamluk deposits
(for interim reports see Van der Veen (1999e, 2000, 2001c)"

There is no evidence of further transport (as far as I can tell), but the
evidence does show that coconuts were imported into Egypt during the
specified period.  This suggests the possibility that coconuts may have been
exported to Europe, in particular, Italy, during the time of the Anonimo
Toscano.

Further research on the area is continuing.

Bear