[Sca-cooks] Shish Kabab ton-o-questions

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 00:39:19 PDT 2005

Hi!

I think your idea of flaming shish kababs is a modern idea and not done pre-1600.  And if the
fencing foils aren't properly tempered they could be ruined by the flames and/or ruin the meat by
adding harmful metals to the meat.

You need to buy these books:

Medieval Arab Cookery / essays and translations by Maxime Rodinson, A.J. Arberry & Charles Perry ;
with a foreward by Claudia Roden.  [Devon, England] : Prospect Books, 2001.
527 p.  ISBN 0907325912

If you want to do Medieval Middle Eastern food, this is the best book to have.

and then there is:

The Ni`matn¯ama manuscript of the sultans of Mandu : the Sultan's book of delights / translated
by Norah M. Titley. London ; New York : Routledge, 2004.
xx, 121 p.  ISBN 041535059X
ISBN: 041535059X (cloth)

Although this is from India, it is from the Moghul Era, so it is heavily influenced by the
Persians.  There are several kabab recipes in it.

Huette