[Sca-cooks] Shish Kabab ton-o-questions

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Fri Aug 19 22:21:39 PDT 2005

CLdyroz at aol.com wrote:

>1. If Middle/Near Eastern food doesn't contain alcohol, how am I supposed to
>get the things to flame? Would it be better to go Greek, instead of Eastern?

No idea... is this in any way documantable?

>2. What cut of meat would be best? Lamb and top sirloin beef are priced about
>the same here. (I don't want to skimp on quality-tough meat doesn't grill
>well)

I personally would tend to plump for lamb-- it's tasty and popular in
the Middle East.

>3.  For the populace-the meat goes on a bamboo skewer. How much meat per
>stick? I am thinking of about 4 oz. per person. There will be other courses, I
>just don't know what, so far. Feast will be for about 120-150.

I would tend to agree with 4oz per person, but wold tend to split this
between 2-3 sticks.

>4.  In prep work, I was thinking of cutting the beef, putting it in the
>marinade and freezing it. But, will the freezing make it too tough? Will sitting in
>the marinade give it an off-flavor?

Freezing shouldn't toughen the meat, and the whole point of a marinade
is to let the meat sit in it.

>5. Grill space and time will be limited-and probably charcoal. That means
>doing the charcoal in stages, replenishing and so on. Is there an easier, faster
>way to do it and still get that good flavor? Say, parboil, put on sticks and
>then grill?

Pick up the telephone and arrange to borrow another barbecue.
Seriously.  Also, cut the meat fairly small, that is, make your kebabs
about 1" across and 1/2" thick-- they'll grill much quicker than big
kebabs with inch-and-a-half cubes of meat.

>6. I was planning on mushrooms and onions as a veggie spacer, but I would
>like a third if possible-any suggestions?

Sorry, no idea... I usually skip the veggies and serve with plenty of
salad, etc.

>Every book I can get my hands on is all
>European. the Greek one I have is all Americanized Modern Recipes. And the
>local librarians are not helpful....

This isn't really my area of expertise, but try looking up al-Andalus
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm

Also, I found the following page, which has some worked out recipe from
both al Andalus and from a thirteenth century cookbook, al Baghdadi
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/cook/cowshedarabic.htm

Adele d'M