[Sca-cooks] Shish Kabab ton-o-questions

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 21:21:48 PDT 2005

Good Evening!
I have actually been asked to  cook a course at our December Event. ;)
Yes, it will be my first....
It has been requested that I prepare Shish Kababs with the usual
accompaniments.

Now, part of the presentation is have the Head Table presented with flaming
Shish Kabab on fencing foils.
So, I have a flood of questions;

1. If Middle/Near Eastern food doesn't contain alcohol, how am I supposed to
get the things to flame? Would it be better to go Greek, instead of Eastern?
2. What cut of meat would be best? Lamb and top sirloin beef are priced about
the same here. (I don't want to skimp on quality-tough meat doesn't grill
well)
3.  For the populace-the meat goes on a bamboo skewer. How much meat per
stick? I am thinking of about 4 oz. per person. There will be other courses, I
just don't know what, so far. Feast will be for about 120-150.
4.  In prep work, I was thinking of cutting the beef, putting it in the
marinade and freezing it. But, will the freezing make it too tough? Will sitting in
the marinade give it an off-flavor?
5. Grill space and time will be limited-and probably charcoal. That means
doing the charcoal in stages, replenishing and so on. Is there an easier, faster
way to do it and still get that good flavor? Say, parboil, put on sticks and
then grill?
6. I was planning on mushrooms and onions as a veggie spacer, but I would
like a third if possible-any suggestions?
7. If I do ME, I plan on rice and falafel and pita bread and humus. Greek
would have rice pilaf, and...and dates. ::sigh::
Yeah, I know-same old, same old. Any idea of what I can do or where I can go
to find something that will wake people up? Yeah, I know, the flames (and the
fencers carrying them) will catch their attention, but I would like something
a little different, out of the way.... Every book I can get my hands on is all
European. the Greek one I have is all Americanized Modern Recipes. And the
local librarians are not helpful....

I know this is a slew of questions. I thank you for reading them. I also
thank any of you who will respond. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Helen Hawksworth
Beginning Cook
(that just means more dishes to wash:))
(Yes, I have checked the "fleur-a-thingy"-that's where I got the pomegranate
recipe. :) thank you, Urtitum and Stephan. You both are wonderful! )