[Sca-cooks] Shish Kabab ton-o-questions

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Aug 20 01:21:44 PDT 2005

Am Samstag, 20. August 2005 06:21 schrieb CLdyroz at aol.com:
> Good Evening!
> I have actually been asked to  cook a course at our December Event. ;)
> Yes, it will be my first....
> It has been requested that I prepare Shish Kababs with the usual
> accompaniments.
>
> Now, part of the presentation is have the Head Table presented with flaming
> Shish Kabab on fencing foils.
> So, I have a flood of questions;
>
> 1. If Middle/Near Eastern food doesn't contain alcohol, how am I supposed
> to get the things to flame? Would it be better to go Greek, instead of
> Eastern?

super unleaded?

To be honest, I have never heard of anything served flambe in Middle Eastern
cooking, and I can't imagine it would be much appreciated in a culture where
you eat with your hands. I have seen some references to flaming foods in
medieval European cooking (I don't know about Greek), and there is something
like Shishkebab in 15th century Germany, but again, the two recipes are quite
separate.

Then again, if it was requested that you serve flaming shishkebab on fencing
foils you might as well treat the occasion as 'Dungeons&Dragons-themed' and
use vodka.

2. What cut of meat would be best? Lamb and top sirloin beef are
> priced about the same here. (I don't want to skimp on quality-tough meat
> doesn't grill well)

I would go with lamb. But that's just me.

> 4.  In prep work, I was thinking of cutting the beef, putting it in the
> marinade and freezing it. But, will the freezing make it too tough? Will
> sitting in the marinade give it an off-flavor?

Depends on the marinade, but I froze beef in a vinegar-garlic mariade for a
feast and the only problem we had was getting the huge block to thaw in time
to cook it. Conventional wisdom has it beef is tenderized by freezing. I
haven't experimented.

> 6. I was planning on mushrooms and onions as a veggie spacer, but I would
> like a third if possible-any suggestions?

The German medieval recipe calls for meat-bacon-meat, so I wouldn't know. Of
course if you run with the D&D feel, you could use mild bell peppers. They're
absolutely non-period, but they taste good with shishkebab

> 7. If I do ME, I plan on rice and falafel and pita bread and humus. Greek
> would have rice pilaf, and...and dates. ::sigh::
> Yeah, I know-same old, same old. Any idea of what I can do or where I can
> go to find something that will wake people up? Yeah, I know, the flames
> (and the fencers carrying them) will catch their attention, but I would
> like something a little different, out of the way.... Every book I can get
> my hands on is all European. the Greek one I have is all Americanized
> Modern Recipes. And the local librarians are not helpful....

What would you be looking for, and what facilities and help do you have? You
might want to spice up things by decorating your pilaf and maybe serving a
cooked dish of meat and noodles, or meat and aubergine, or any other such,
with it. Also, consider a vegetable dish or two, simply because it adds
variety. I have a few ME recipes, but I'm sure others hcan help you lots
more. And will you have the facilities and suipport to serve cakes or even
fritters?

Giano