[Sca-cooks] Shish Kabab ton-o-questions

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Sat Aug 20 01:01:28 PDT 2005

>From a novice.
-----Original Message-----
(snip)
Now, part of the presentation is have the Head Table presented with flaming
Shish Kabab on fencing foils.

*Ummm...though this sounds flashy and grand, this sounds like an accident
waiting to happen. I would test this out before the event.

(snip)
1. If Middle/Near Eastern food doesn't contain alcohol, how am I supposed to
get the things to flame? Would it be better to go Greek, instead of Eastern?

* I would think that the next best thing would be oil but unlike alcohol it
burns a long time. If there are docs out there for it, Kashkab, fermented
barley, mint rue, black pepper and citron perhaps could be used or a date
and honey wine (no grapes). I believe the restriction was, drink made from
fruits of the vine though I think they expanded that restriction through the
years (I could be remembering wrong).

(snip)
5. Grill space and time will be limited-and probably charcoal. That means
doing the charcoal in stages, replenishing and so on. Is there an easier,
faster
way to do it and still get that good flavor? Say, parboil, put on sticks and
then grill?

* thought of broiling then grill?

6. I was planning on mushrooms and onions as a veggie spacer, but I would
like a third if possible-any suggestions?

* You may need to be prepared to make some kabobs without mushrooms. It's
late and I can't think of any thing except, don't limit yourself to veggies.

7. If I do ME, I plan on rice and falafel and pita bread and humus. Greek
would have rice pilaf, and...and dates. ::sigh::

*figs, oranges(?), lemons, citron, almonds, fennel, zucchini, asparagus(?),
olives, yogurt, tabuli, lentils, fava beans.

Thank you!
Helen Hawksworth

* Are kebabs within SCA period? I know that the original meat is lamb. The
meat does not touch the grill like we do here in N.America on the grill. and
the veggies were not used in the original kebabs

Lyse