[Sca-cooks] RE: Plums

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Aug 20 09:34:33 PDT 2005

On Aug 20, 2005, at 5:27 AM, I wrote:
> The Cato referred to is presumably the Cato who wrote the book on
> farming, or Marcus Portius Cato the Elder, a.k.a. Cato the Censor,
> reputed to be rather stoic and Spartan in his various dealings,
> such as the treatment of slaves, etc., and generally a famous Not
> Especially Nice Person. However, he's the author of De Agricultura,
> which is mostly why he's of interest to us.

N.B.: Marcus Portius Cato the Elder is also the guy who is remembered
for, over a period of years, ending every speech in the Senate House,
regardless of topic, with the words, "... and it is my further
opinion that Carthage must be destroyed."

Tsk tsk. These people and their radical .sig files...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04