[Sca-cooks] RE: Plums

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Aug 20 12:23:08 PDT 2005

Am Samstag, 20. August 2005 18:34 schrieb Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius:
> On Aug 20, 2005, at 5:27 AM, I wrote:
> > The Cato referred to is presumably the Cato who wrote the book on
> > farming, or Marcus Portius Cato the Elder, a.k.a. Cato the Censor,
> > reputed to be rather stoic and Spartan in his various dealings,
> > such as the treatment of slaves, etc., and generally a famous Not
> > Especially Nice Person. However, he's the author of De Agricultura,
> > which is mostly why he's of interest to us.
>
> N.B.: Marcus Portius Cato the Elder is also the guy who is remembered
> for, over a period of years, ending every speech in the Senate House,
> regardless of topic, with the words, "... and it is my further
> opinion that Carthage must be destroyed."
>
> Tsk tsk. These people and their radical .sig files...

He also left a large number of very scrumptious recipes, and a few unpalatable
ones 'for the slaves'. But I cannot recommend erneum enough.

And I like the story they tell about his younger days (well, his late 30s,
anyway). Speaking in favour of a law as a very junior senate member, he was
interrupted by one of the oldest sitting members with the words "This will
not pass while I draw breath!". Without pause, he replied "Well, it can wait
a few weeks, I guess."

I like Romans. They're so delightfully unabashed

Giano