[Sca-cooks] Re: shish kabab response #1

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Aug 21 13:07:36 PDT 2005

Ah, but Huette, dearie, you're thinking California-centric <g>, and I'm
up in the mountains in NW Montana.  We're lucky to get apricots at
all--our winters aren't exactly hospitable, and in some parts of the
state, we have a remarkably short growing season (Memorial Day to Labor
Day, roughly, as a frost-free zone, especially where I was growing up,
and that wasn't even an area that was particularly vertically challenged
[altitude can be an issue in some parts of the state...we're about at
32-3300 feet here]).  In the right microclimates here you can get some
good stone fruit crops, though, which is why, I suspect, apricots grow
here in Missoula.  Plums everywhere.  And the Flathead area(a couple
hours north of me...largest freshwater lake west of the Great Lakes,
IIRC) is famous for its Bing cherries (season in mid-late July, mostly).
  Some parts of the state (the Bitterroot Valley south of here, for
example) turns out to be really good for some types of apples (MacIntosh
in particular...oooh, my, I can hardly wait for the fresh cider! <weg>)

I would be very interested in your pickled apricot recipe, thanks! ;oD
--Maire, waiting for the blackberries to ripen so that she can make some
liqueur.....