[Sca-cooks] Fussy eaters

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Aug 22 10:06:30 PDT 2005

 > This is a fairly frequently visited thread on this list.  I have a
>really hard time with it, because of the way I was raised.  When I was
>growing up, one ate what was placed in front of one, and at least
>pretended to like it.

What I find interesting is that kids who won't eat unusual things at
home will eat them for other adults that they know. There was a young
lady at our Pennsic camp who 'didn't eat meat' (I don't mean a
vegetarian, I mean a picky eater) and she ate everything that
Christopher cooked.

Our house picky eater (age 6, mom's a great cook, but she will eat
nothing with sauces please, and her list of likes and dislikes changes
every meal) ate *Cumin Chicken* at our last feast and asked for more.

The question of picky eaters and what they will/won't eat is one that
continues to boggle SCA Cooks specifically, but I think part of it is
that we are so used to being that kind of helpful. I'm a subscriber to
'Heroic Stories' newsletter, which sends out little tidbits of human
interest stories involving random acts of caring. There was one story
reprinted recently about a couple cooking church camp dinner for 140,
and the woman taking time out to cook a special sugarfree pie for the
dessert of some diabetic and how pleased and touched the recipient was.
People still write in to Heroic stories and say how cool that was.

I've found that people will eat the feasts I've planned or helped plan a
lot more easily that others think they will. If it smells good, and they
are sat down in front of it, the aromas can suck them in...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase