[Sca-cooks] Fussy eaters

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 10 20:44:37 PDT 2005

Pat wrote:

>This is a fairly frequently visited thread on this list.  I have a really hard time with it, because of the way I was raised.  When I was growing up, one ate what was placed in front of one, and at least pretended to like it.  Any thing else was not only extremely rude, it was a waste of food, which was unforgivable.  I still find it insultingly rude when I'm told, "You can't cook that for feast here because so-an-so is allergic to citrus, or nuts, or is a vegetarian."  You don't have to eat what I put before you, and you don't have to work in my kitchen, but please do not dictate what I can or cannot cook based on the food preferences of one or a few.  I have NEVER insisted, or even requested that diabetic friendly food be served at feast just because I am diabetic.  I know how to take care of my own dietary needs, and I expect other adults to do the same.  Children, unless there are health issues, should eat what is placed before them.

Go you!

Actually, I don't have a problem with people, children or otherwise, not
eating something.  I do have a problem with them (a) making a fuss about
something they don't like or (b) expecting to have their whims specially
catered for.  Children whose pickiness is pandered to grow up to be
fussy, squeamish adults and fussy, squeamish adults are insufferable.
I've seen a grown woman _sulk_ when I told her that I would not fix a
special meal for her at a (private, non-SCA) event just because she
didn't _like_ the meal being offered, and let me assure you that that is
_extremely_ unappealing behaviour.

Having said that, I am _much_ more willing to make allowances for people
with diabetes, allergies etc., because by and large they are less
demanding, take more responsibility for their own issues, and are more
appreciative than those who are merely picky.

And I absolutely refuse to _not_ cook something because some person or
people can't eat it.  I make lots of different foods.  No-one goes
hungry.  I can't believe that anyone has the gall to tell a cook (so
often a harassed, temperental woman with a knife :)  ) what she can and
can't do in her kitchen.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,