[Sca-cooks]Fountains was: Casa Bardicci Subtlety Contest

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 10:52:39 PDT 2005

There is a 14th century table fountain at the
Cleveland Museum of Art.

http://www.clevelandart.org/exhibcef/burgundy/html/1080248.html

It does not use a gravity feed reservoir, but I don't know how it does work.

Mordonna

Robert Downie <rdownie at mts.net> wrote:
Susan Fox wrote:

> So, how would one go about making a "fountain" without a
> post-Renaissance electric fountain kit? I'm thinking, an adjoining
> reservoir set on a shelf just above the level of the output spout.
> Fluid goes in the reservoir and out the spout. Refill as necessary,
> isn't that what servants are for?

I know gravity fed pumps have been around for quite some time (sorry, no
specific references to hand, can't remember _where_ I read it, just that
I read it). Given more time, that could have been an option. Other
than that, I'm not sure - although I do remember seeing pictures of
elaborate medieval golden table fountains with no obvious means of
gravity feeding the water.

I would love to learn more about how period fountains worked. Does
anyone have any recommendations for good boks on the subject?

Faerisa

Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies